Most of my time is spent preparing for shows and coming up with new ideas. On the nights I have a performance, I along with five other performers take the crowd on a non-stop, hip-hop improv ride, spinning cues from the audience into instantaneous riffs and fully realized musical numbers.
Producers and Directors
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+7.7% (as fast as the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Producers and Directors Do
Produce or direct stage, television, radio, video, or film productions for entertainment, information, or instruction. Responsible for creative decisions, such as interpretation of script, choice of actors or guests, set design, sound, special effects, and choreography.
Other Job Titles Producers and Directors May Have
Artistic Director, Director, News Producer, Producer
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
I write and share stories. Sometimes I am working on making films. I also do speaking events.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Plan details such as framing, composition, camera movement, sound, and actor movement for each shot or scene.
- Communicate to actors the approach, characterization, and movement needed for each scene in such a way that rehearsals and takes are minimized.
- Direct live broadcasts, films and recordings, or non-broadcast programming for public entertainment or education.
- Research production topics using the internet, video archives, and other informational sources.
- Review film, recordings, or rehearsals to ensure conformance to production and broadcast standards.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.