Collection of Personal Information
In order for you to create an account to access the Services, we need to collect and process some information. Depending on your use of the Services, that may include:
- Information you provide – When you sign up for an RTN account or other service or promotion that requires registration, we ask you to create a non-personally identifiable user name and password and certain other personal information (such as your first and last name, and email address).
- Sign-in information – we ask for your user name and password details, in connection with the account sign-in process.
- User communications - When you send email or other communications to RTN, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Information submitted by you - information that you submit to RTN, for example, in the form of a Share your Road profile.
- Uploaded content - When you voluntarily choose to upload any personal information or audio, textual or video content on any area of the Services, this information may be made publicly available and may be accessed, viewed, stored, collected or used by other users of the Services, subject to your restrictions.
- Links - RTN may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our search functions, customized content and advertising.
We also collect information through other ways such as through a user's activities and transactions as part of the Services, including the following:
- Clear GIFs - We may use “clear GIFs” (a/k/a “Web beacons” or “pixel tags”) or similar technologies, in connection with the Services and/or in our communications (e.g., in our HTML-based e-mails) which enable us to know whether you have visited a web page or received or opened an e-mail. This allows us to know the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
- IP Address and Clickstream Data - We automatically collect information from your browser when you visit our Services. This information includes your IP address, your browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us and the referring website address.
Use of Personal Information
We will use the personal information you provide to:
- identify you when you sign in to your account;
- enable us to provide you with access to the Services;
- administer your account with us;
- respond to your requests and inquiries, and manage your account and provide you customer service;
- maintain our internal record keeping and otherwise manage our business;
- send you e-mail notices and offers and otherwise correspond with you, about products, services, companies and events that we think might interest you (subject to election to opt-in to receive such notices and offers);
- perform research and analysis about your use of or interest in our products, services or products or services offered by others;
- ensure the technical functioning of our network;
- develop new services;
- develop and display content tailored to your interests on our Services and other sites;
- provide promotional electronic mailings, such as newsletters and other updates, to our users. Users may opt out of receiving such promotional electronic mailings by following the unsubscribe feature contained within the mailing; and
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to, or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of, data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to RTN employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, potentially including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
RTN only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of RTN in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent.
- We provide such information to certain of our partners for the purpose of sharing services and information. Users may elect to have their personal information withheld from sharing with our partners by choosing the opt-out provision on their user profile.
- RTN becomes involved in a merger, acquisition, or any form of sale of some or all of its assets, you acknowledge and agree that all information submitted by you, including your personal information, may be transferred as a business asset.
Aggregated and Non-Personal Information
Choices for Personal Information
You can use the Services without providing any personal information, however, certain parts of the Services, such as Share Your Road, require that you register as a user and provide some personal information as part of the registration process. You also have the right to “opt-in” and “opt-out” of certain uses of your personal information. For example, you may elect not to receive correspondence from us or have your personal information shared with other entities for their marketing purposes.
Please understand that if you opt-out of receiving promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with RTN.
Do Not Track Policy
RTN does not track your online activities over time and across third-party websites. Because we do not employ tracking technology, we offer no response to “Do Not Track” requests transmitted by web browsers.
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt out of any marketing communications we send. We will send you email relating to your personal transactions. You will also receive certain marketing email communications, in accordance with your preferences, and from which you may opt-out at any time. We may send you service-related announcements on the rare occasions when it is necessary to do so.
Third Party Services
Disclosure of Information
We may disclose user information when compelled to do so by government authorities or otherwise as required or permitted by law, such as to respond to court orders and subpoenas. We also may disclose user information when we have reason to believe that someone is causing injury to or interfering with our rights or property, other customers or users of the Services, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities.
When you contribute to a feature of our Services, such as Share Your Road, the information that you submit will be made available to the general public. Therefore, we recommend that you do not submit any sensitive information to such areas of our Services, including any information that would enable other users to locate you or contact you.
Accessing and Updating Personal Information
When you use RTN services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Some of our services have different procedures to access, correct or delete users' personal information.
User accounts are personal to the registered user. In the event of the death of a user, the user’s account will be deactivated, however, existing content will not be removed from the Services. RTN cannot provide any personal information regarding the user or the account (including user name and password) to any family member, next of kin or legal representative without an order from a court of competent jurisdiction compelling RTN to do so.
Children's Online Privacy Protection Act
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") requires us to inform parents and legal guardians about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information from children under the age of 13. It also requires that we obtain parental consent before we allow children under the age of 13 to register as a user and utilize the Services. The Services is primarily intended for use by high school and college aged teens and young adults, and is therefore not intended to be used by children under the age of 13. If you are a user who is under the age of 13, we must have permission from your parent or legal guardian before you can register as member of the Services.
A parent or legal guardian may ask RTN to provide them with the information we maintain about their child so that they may request corrections. This information will be sent via postal mail, which we believe is the most secure method of communication. Please contact RTN by email at email@example.com or in writing at:
Security and Privacy Requests
1626 Placentia Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
We will need to verify the identity of anyone requesting information about a child to ensure that the person is in fact the child’s parent or legal guardian.
A parent or legal guardian may revoke consent to collect their child's personal information at any time, and they may also request to have their child's personal information deleted and refuse to permit further collection of such information by RTN. Please contact us using the process described above if you wish to have your child’s information deleted. However, please understand that, even after removal, your child's content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or by others if a user has copied or stored such content.
Changes to this Policy
RTN Privacy FAQ
What is personal information?
"Personal information" is information that you provide to us which personally identifies you, such as your name, email address, or other data which can be reasonably linked to such information by RTN. RTN does not knowingly collect personal information from users under 13 years of age without the consent of a parent or guardian.
Personal information does not include communications transmitted through the Services, including e-mails. Users do not have a right to privacy in such information. RTN reserves the right to monitor or audit your use of the Services at any time for any reason without advance notice or consent.
What is a RTN Account?
You may access some of our services by signing up for a user account and providing us with some personal information (typically your first and last name, email address, username and an account password). This account information will be used to authenticate you when you access RTN services and protect your account from unauthorized access by others. We may share personal information among our various services in order to customize content and enhance our services for you.
You can edit or terminate your account at any time through your RTN account settings, or by contacting us through this website.
What is a cookie?
A "cookie" is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. When you visit the website again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
What are Server Logs?
Like most websites, our servers automatically record the page requests made when users visit our sites. These "server logs" typically include your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
What information does RTN receive if I click on a link displayed on the RTN website?
When you click on a link displayed on the RTN website, the fact that you clicked on the link may be sent to RTN. In this way, RTN is able to record information about how you use our site and services.
We use this information to improve the quality of our services and for other business purposes. For example, RTN can use this information to determine how often users are satisfied with the first result of a query and how often they proceed to later results. Similarly, RTN can use this information to determine how many times an advertisement is clicked in order to calculate how much the advertiser should be charged.
What is sensitive information?
"Sensitive personal information" includes information we know to be related to confidential medical information, racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs or sexuality and tied to personal information.
What is aggregated non-personal information?
"Aggregated non-personal information or data" is information that is recorded about users and collected into groups so that it no longer reflects or references an individually identifiable user./p>
What protections do I have against intrusions by the government into my use of RTN services?
RTN does comply with valid legal process, such as search warrants, court orders, or subpoenas seeking personal information. These same processes apply to all law-abiding companies. As has always been the case, the primary protections you have against intrusions by the government are the laws that apply to where you live.
Updated April 10, 2017