My day is mainly spent sending emails, giving and receiving phone calls, guiding our staff to ensure they have all of the resources they need to do their work, and working on big-picture projects that will continue to move the ball forward.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+2.2% (slower than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Automotive Engineers Do
Develop new or improved designs for vehicle structural members, engines, transmissions, or other vehicle systems, using computer-assisted design technology. Direct building, modification, or testing of vehicle or components.
Other Job Titles Automotive Engineers May Have
Engineer, Product Engineer, Project Engineer, Research Engineer
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
My day is spent working with customers to complete unique designs and custom off-road and 4-wheel-drive builds for City, County, State rescue operations, as well as custom builds for the television and movie industry.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Conduct or direct system-level automotive testing.
- Provide technical direction to other engineers or engineering support personnel.
- Perform failure, variation, or root cause analyses.
- Calibrate vehicle systems, including control algorithms or other software systems.
- Design or analyze automobile systems in areas such as aerodynamics, alternate fuels, ergonomics, hybrid power, brakes, transmissions, steering, calibration, safety, or diagnostics.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.