Nick's Open Road
I Used To Break Things Apart (0:51)
How Do You Know You Love Something? (0:30)
Specializaition in Robotics (0:47)
Nexie the MDS Robot (0:48)
Artificial Intelligence Emotions (1:10)
Secret Lives (1:30)
MIT Personal Robots Group
If you're still thinking about [something] in the shower…that's when you love it.
- His love for computers and programming started with video games.
- First, he'd hack his computer to get the most out of his games.
- From there, he started physically taking clocks and computers apart and rebuilding them.
- He originally had a computer science degree that focused on special effects, but for his master's, he chose a specialization in robotics.
- Now, as he's pursuing his Ph.D., he's part of MIT's Personal Robots Group, that focuses on human/robot interaction.
- Time magazine named his lab's creation-Nexi, a robot that can display human emotion-one of the best inventions of 2008.
- Says you know you love something if you're still thinking about it in the shower.
- Says, unfortunately, part of becoming a professional means building a professional persona, but you can maintain your identity in outlets outside of work.