A great day would be diving into the creative process to build great websites and online experiences. I collaborate with many colleagues each day to plan and build platforms that help reach thousands of people to engage in self-awareness and life-changing decisions.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+30.3% (much faster than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Web Developers Do
Develop and implement websites, web applications, application databases, and interactive web interfaces. Evaluate code to ensure that it is properly structured, meets industry standards, and is compatible with browsers and devices. Optimize website performance, scalability, and server-side code and processes. May develop website infrastructure and integrate websites with other computer applications.
Other Job Titles Web Developers May Have
Web Architect, Web Designer, Web Developer, Webmaster
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
My main objective throughout the day is to complete as much development of applications as possible. Team meetings are sprinkled throughout the day, but mostly I'm either plugged in at my desk or collaborating with others to complete the applications we've been assigned.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Write supporting code for Web applications or Web sites.
- Design, build, or maintain Web sites, using authoring or scripting languages, content creation tools, management tools, and digital media.
- Back up files from Web sites to local directories for instant recovery in case of problems.
- Select programming languages, design tools, or applications.
- Evaluate code to ensure that it is valid, is properly structured, meets industry standards, and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.