Alana's Open Road
ALANA WARD ROBINSON
Robinson Group Consulting
I decide, and I do it, and then I figure out: Was it a good or a bad thing? And if it was a bad thing, what did I learn from it?
- Grew up in segregated south Louisiana.
- After the "Freedom of Choice" law passed, decided to go to the majority white school to get a better education.
- Rather than wallowing in the fact that no one sat next to her on the school bus, she enjoyed having a seat to herself.
- Found her passion for programming in high school, got her Bachelor's degree in computer science and applied mathematics.
- First woman of color in a programming position at the Shreveport IBM office.
- Faced discrimination at her job at IBM-certain clients didn't want to work with an African-American woman.
- Never saw being the only woman or the only person of color in her industry as a limiting factor.
- Fought for an equal wage after learning that men in her same position were making much more money.