Butchers and Meat Cutters
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
What Butchers and Meat Cutters Do
Cut, trim, or prepare consumer-sized portions of meat for use or sale in retail establishments.
Other Job Titles Butchers and Meat Cutters May Have
Butcher, Meat Clerk, Meat Cutter, Meat Specialist
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Prepare and place meat cuts and products in display counter to appear attractive and catch the shopper's eye.
- Wrap, weigh, label, and price cuts of meat.
- Cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare in cooking form.
- Prepare special cuts of meat ordered by customers.
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery to ensure meat quality.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.