Sports Medicine Physicians
Hourly Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+4.3% (slower than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Sports Medicine Physicians Do
Diagnose, treat, and help prevent injuries that occur during sporting events, athletic training, and physical activities.
Other Job Titles Sports Medicine Physicians May Have
Athletic Team Physician, Nonsurgical Primary Care Sports Medicine Physician, Orthopedic Team Physician, Physician, Sports Medicine Physician, Team Physician
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Diagnose or treat disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
- Order and interpret the results of laboratory tests and diagnostic imaging procedures.
- Advise against injured athletes returning to games or competition if resuming activity could lead to further injury.
- Record athletes' medical care information and maintain medical records.
- Record athletes' medical histories and perform physical examinations.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.