A fulfilling day for me is when an teen walks through the teens center and they learn that they do not have to become an product of their environment. It is not where you come from but the final destination.
Mental Health Counselors
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+24.7% (much faster than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Mental Health Counselors Do
Counsel and advise individuals and groups to promote optimum mental and emotional health, with an emphasis on prevention. May help individuals deal with a broad range of mental health issues, such as those associated with addictions and substance abuse; family, parenting, and marital problems; stress management; self-esteem; or aging.
Other Job Titles Mental Health Counselors May Have
Behavior Analyst, Behavior Support Specialist (BSS), Case Manager, Clinician, Counselor, Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Mental Health Counselor, Mental Health Program Specialist, Mental Health Specialist, Mental Health Therapist
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Typical???...what's that??? But all jokes aside, that is the beauty of what I do; there is never a dull moment and it is not a typical day environment.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Maintain confidentiality of records relating to clients' treatment.
- Encourage clients to express their feelings and discuss what is happening in their lives, helping them to develop insight into themselves or their relationships.
- Assess patients for risk of suicide attempts.
- Prepare and maintain all required treatment records and reports.
- Counsel clients or patients, individually or in group sessions, to assist in overcoming dependencies, adjusting to life, or making changes.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.