Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+8.3% (as fast as the average)
What Petroleum Engineers Do
Devise methods to improve oil and gas extraction and production and determine the need for new or modified tool designs. Oversee drilling and offer technical advice.
Other Job Titles Petroleum Engineers May Have
Drilling Engineer, Engineer, Petroleum Engineer, Reservoir Engineer
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Specify and supervise well modification and stimulation programs to maximize oil and gas recovery.
- Monitor production rates, and plan rework processes to improve production.
- Maintain records of drilling and production operations.
- Analyze data to recommend placement of wells and supplementary processes to enhance production.
- Assist engineering and other personnel to solve operating problems.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.