A typical day is hard to define, there are often problems that arise that need immediate resolution. Things that may never have been encountered before that need to be understood and fixed in a matter of minutes. It is exciting at times, but can get rather monotonous depending on what layers of the job you get focused on. Staying at the forefront of technology means you always get to keep learning, and for me that is one of the best parts of my job.
Network and Computer Systems Administrators
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+3.4% (slower than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Network and Computer Systems Administrators Do
Install, configure, and maintain an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), data communications network, operating systems, and physical and virtual servers. Perform system monitoring and verify the integrity and availability of hardware, network, and server resources and systems. Review system and application logs and verify completion of scheduled jobs, including system backups. Analyze network and server resource consumption and control user access. Install and upgrade software and maintain software licenses. May assist in network modeling, analysis, planning, and coordination between network and data communications hardware and software.
Other Job Titles Network and Computer Systems Administrators May Have
Information Technology Specialist (IT Specialist), Local Area Network Administrator (LAN Administrator), Network Administrator, Systems Administrator
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Depends on the day! My primary job is to create training videos so that others may learn how to be a network engineer. So it would be a lot of time in my basement, writing notes to scope how the training will go (everything needs a story!), testing things out on equipment to make sure the demonstrations go as planned and then actually recording and editing the video to make it perfect! My secondary job is actual consulting, & I could be anyplace around the world doing a wide variety of things!
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components when necessary.
- Configure, monitor, and maintain email applications or virus protection software.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to coordinate computer network access and use.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.