A lot of my time is spent interacting with my internal business customers; understanding their projects and strategy. I have a lot of discussions about how we should set up contracts with suppliers, what's the latest and greatest in the world of innovation and technology, and how we can do things faster while still protecting our customers and our company.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+3.8% (slower than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Purchasing Managers Do
Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of buyers, purchasing officers, and related workers involved in purchasing materials, products, and services. Includes wholesale or retail trade merchandising managers and procurement managers.
Other Job Titles Purchasing Managers May Have
Materials Manager, Procurement Director, Procurement Manager, Purchasing Director
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
A good day for me is a never ending series of meetings and calls with my internal customers and prospective/current suppliers (3rd party vendors). These calls and meetings are all aimed at identifying the best suppliers to build and deliver products and services for Capital One's customers. The objective of these discussions is to ensure Capital One has articulated the needs of our customers and then made sure the supplier can meet those needs at an affordable price.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Represent companies in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers.
- Develop cost reduction strategies and savings plans.
- Develop and implement purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Prepare bid awards requiring board approval.
- Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in buying, selling, and distributing materials, equipment, machinery, and supplies.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.