I go on daily rounds of the chimp sanctuary to ensure the health needs of all of the animals in our care are being met from nutrition, play/recreation, and more.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+19.4% (much faster than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Veterinarians Do
Diagnose, treat, or research diseases and injuries of animals. Includes veterinarians who conduct research and development, inspect livestock, or care for pets and companion animals.
Other Job Titles Veterinarians May Have
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Emergency Veterinarian (Emergency Vet), Small Animal Veterinarian (Small Animal Vet), Veterinary Medicine Doctor (DVM)
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
As the head veterinarian at the Saint Louis Zoo, I am a member and leader of the team that provides veterinary care to all the zoo's animals and to the many endangered species that the zoo aims to protect in the wild. This means monitoring them for any health problems or injuries, administering care, and overseeing the general welfare of all of the animals.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Treat sick or injured animals by prescribing medication, setting bones, dressing wounds, or performing surgery.
- Inoculate animals against various diseases, such as rabies or distemper.
- Examine animals to detect and determine the nature of diseases or injuries.
- Collect body tissue, feces, blood, urine, or other body fluids for examination and analysis.
- Operate diagnostic equipment, such as radiographic or ultrasound equipment, and interpret the resulting images.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.