I carpool to work at 8am. It is about a 1 hour commute to work for us, but we try to make it fun. From 8-12 and 1-5 we see numerous patients. I do everything from dental exams, to crowns/bridges, to oral surgeries. I work on all age ranges, from 3-90+ years of age, so it is really a diverse patient base. A lot of the work we do is dental emergencies and getting people out of their immediate pain, but I am also working on comprehensive treatments that will take months to years to complete.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+2.8% (slower than the average)
Most Common Level of Education
Doctoral or professional degree
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Dentists, General Do
Examine, diagnose, and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting oral hygiene and retention of teeth. May fit dental appliances or provide preventive care.
Other Job Titles Dentists, General May Have
Dental Surgery Doctor (DDS), Dentist, Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD), Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Family Dentist, General Dentist, Pediatric Dentist
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Check the schedule for the day. I look at what all restorative treatment my patients are needing. Performing dental exams and taking note and sign all orders.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Use masks, gloves, and safety glasses to protect patients and self from infectious diseases.
- Examine teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, or other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments.
- Administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures.
- Use dental air turbines, hand instruments, dental appliances, or surgical implements.
- Formulate plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.