A great day in my work would be one in which all my students are engaged, participating actively in class, and asking thoughtful questions of their peers, me, and themselves. What I hope a student would see if they shadowed me was my students taking intellectual risks in the classroom.
History Teachers, Postsecondary
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+3.6% (slower than the average)
Most Common Level of Education
Doctoral or professional degree
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What History Teachers, Postsecondary Do
Teach courses in human history and historiography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Other Job Titles History Teachers, Postsecondary May Have
Adjunct History Instructor, Adjunct Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, History Instructor, History Professor, History Teacher, Instructor, Lecturer, Professor
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
When I was a professor, I would begin my classes and encourage my students to learn how to write and keep learning until they understood a concept. At the end of each class, I would end with: "Be you, there is no one else like you."
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Prepare course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as ancient history, postwar civilizations, and the history of third-world countries.
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.