Lotsa desk work, but occasionally I get to play with fish.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+2.2% (slower than the average)
Most Common Level of Education
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Biologists Do
Research or study basic principles of plant and animal life, such as origin, relationship, development, anatomy, and functions.
Other Job Titles Biologists May Have
Aquatic Biologist, Aquatic Scientist, Biological Scientist, Biologist, Botanist, Horticulturist, Marine Biologist, Research Biologist, Research Scientist, Scientist
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
A great day at work is when I resolve a conflict between two people, help someone with the wording on their paper, replicate results that confirm a hypothesis, and develop a technique that is faster/easier/cheaper. Some days this happens, often some of the things here happen, occasionally there is total failure. That's okay. Even through failure can we learn something.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Prepare technical and research reports, such as environmental impact reports, and communicate the results to individuals in industry, government, or the general public.
- Develop and maintain liaisons and effective working relations with groups and individuals, agencies, and the public to encourage cooperative management strategies or to develop information and interpret findings.
- Collect and analyze biological data about relationships among and between organisms and their environment.
- Program and use computers to store, process, and analyze data.
- Supervise biological technicians and technologists and other scientists.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.