Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+2.2% (slower than the average)
Most Common Level of Education
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Geneticists Do
Research and study the inheritance of traits at the molecular, organism or population level. May evaluate or treat patients with genetic disorders.
Other Job Titles Geneticists May Have
Cardiovascular Geneticist, Medical Geneticist, Research Scientist, Scientist
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Prepare results of experimental findings for presentation at professional conferences or in scientific journals.
- Plan or conduct basic genomic and biological research related to areas such as regulation of gene expression, protein interactions, metabolic networks, and nucleic acid or protein complexes.
- Supervise or direct the work of other geneticists, biologists, technicians, or biometricians working on genetics research projects.
- Write grants and papers or attend fundraising events to seek research funds.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks that record research methods, procedures, and results.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.