I do lots of cell lab experiments working in a hood and taking care of cells in petri dishes that are grown inside of an incubator to mimic the human body. In the main lab, you'll see me doing lots of molecular biology and experiments involving manipulating DNA. I attend many seminars to hear about the work of others, and I give my own seminars to present my work as well. I also co-founded an org that promotes diversity amongst scientists, so there's some administrative work involved with that.
Molecular and Cellular Biologists
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+3.8% (slower than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Molecular and Cellular Biologists Do
Research and study cellular molecules and organelles to understand cell function and organization.
Other Job Titles Molecular and Cellular Biologists May Have
Molecular Biologist, Research Scientist
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Maintain accurate laboratory records and data.
- Design molecular or cellular laboratory experiments, oversee their execution, and interpret results.
- Write grant applications to obtain funding.
- Perform laboratory procedures following protocols including deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sequencing, cloning and extraction, ribonucleic acid (RNA) purification, or gel electrophoresis.
- Conduct research on cell organization and function, including mechanisms of gene expression, cellular bioinformatics, cell signaling, or cell differentiation.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.