Solar Energy Systems Engineers
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
0% (little or no change)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Solar Energy Systems Engineers Do
Perform site-specific engineering analysis or evaluation of energy efficiency and solar projects involving residential, commercial, or industrial customers. Design solar domestic hot water and space heating systems for new and existing structures, applying knowledge of structural energy requirements, local climates, solar technology, and thermodynamics.
Other Job Titles Solar Energy Systems Engineers May Have
Consulting Engineer, Distributed Energy Systems Consultant, Research Engineer, Solar Engineer
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Create plans for solar energy system development, monitoring, and evaluation activities.
- Conduct engineering site audits to collect structural, electrical, and related site information for use in the design of residential or commercial solar power systems.
- Design or coordinate design of photovoltaic (PV) or solar thermal systems, including system components, for residential and commercial buildings.
- Create electrical single-line diagrams, panel schedules, or connection diagrams for solar electric systems, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Review specifications and recommend engineering or manufacturing changes to achieve solar design objectives.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.