Geographic Information Systems Technologists and Technicians
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+5.7% (as fast as the average)
Most Common Level of Education
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Geographic Information Systems Technologists and Technicians Do
Assist scientists or related professionals in building, maintaining, modifying, or using geographic information systems (GIS) databases. May also perform some custom application development or provide user support.
Other Job Titles Geographic Information Systems Technologists and Technicians May Have
GIS Specialist (Geographic Information Systems Specialist), GIS Technician (Geographic Information Systems Technician), Geographic Information System Analyst (GIS Analyst), Geographic Information Systems Administrator (GIS Administrator), Geographic Information Systems Analyst (GIS Analyst), Geographic Information Systems Coordinator (GIS Coordinator), Resource Analyst
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
When business is good- it's just task by task, constantly juggling and prioritizing as things come across my inbox. I never know what each day will bring, but there are deadlines for each request and they need to worked without error and proper documentation.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Produce data layers, maps, tables, or reports, using spatial analysis procedures or Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology, equipment, or systems.
- Design or prepare graphic representations of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data, using GIS hardware or software applications.
- Maintain or modify existing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) databases.
- Provide technical expertise in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technology to clients or users.
- Perform computer programming, data analysis, or software development for Geographic Information Systems (GIS) applications, including the maintenance of existing systems or research and development for future enhancements.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.