My job involves installing, monitoring, and debugging database server installations.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+8.1% (as fast as the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Database Administrators Do
Administer, test, and implement computer databases, applying knowledge of database management systems. Coordinate changes to computer databases. Identify, investigate, and resolve database performance issues, database capacity, and database scalability. May plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard computer databases.
Other Job Titles Database Administrators May Have
Database Administrator (DBA), Database Analyst, Database Coordinator, Information Systems Manager
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Test programs or databases, correct errors, and make necessary modifications.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Modify existing databases and database management systems or direct programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Specify users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Write and code logical and physical database descriptions and specify identifiers of database to management system, or direct others in coding descriptions.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.