Joanne's Open Road
Joanne Bradford Highlight (2:06)
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Chief Media Officer
Everybody really deep down inside knows what they want to do. I think sometimes people are just afraid to say it out loud.
- Says you have to do a few miserable jobs so that you can appreciate the "good" jobs, but you should never stay in the miserable jobs for too long.
- Coming out of college with a degree in journalism and advertising, she took a job as a retail buyer at Macy's.
- Didn't enjoy that job, but acknowledges that it taught her a lot about business.
- Always knew she wanted to do something "really challenging and big."
- Entered the tech industry, where at times, she was the only woman in the room.
- Had to try to sell MSN as a viable site for advertising right after the "dot-com bubble" burst in 2001.
- Says when you're facing a challenge that big, you learn to break your work down into pieces, take small victories as they come.
- Encourages road-trippers to write down their dreams and keep them in their pocket to make sure they're working towards them every day.