In addition to supervising library clerks and the MakerSpace, I lead the Tech Drop-in service, fixing hardware and software. When I'm not working at the front desk, I'm participating in community outreach and collaborating with schools to educate and inspire students about STEAM topics. I also write grants to acquire new equipment for the library and MakerSpace.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Library Technicians Do
Assist librarians by helping readers in the use of library catalogs, databases, and indexes to locate books and other materials; and by answering questions that require only brief consultation of standard reference. Compile records; sort and shelve books or other media; remove or repair damaged books or other media; register patrons; and check materials in and out of the circulation process. Replace materials in shelving area (stacks) or files. Includes bookmobile drivers who assist with providing services in mobile libraries.
Other Job Titles Library Technicians May Have
Circulation Clerk, Library Aide, Library Assistant, Library Associate, Library Clerk, Library Media Technician, Library Specialist, Library Technical Assistant (LTA), Library Technician, Page Technician
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Reserve, circulate, renew, and discharge books and other materials.
- Answer routine telephone or in-person reference inquiries, referring patrons to librarians for further assistance, when necessary.
- Help patrons find and use library resources, such as reference materials, audio-visual equipment, computers, and other electronic resources and provide technical assistance when needed.
- Deliver and retrieve items throughout the library by hand or using pushcart.
- Process print and non-print library materials to prepare them for inclusion in library collections.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.