Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+8.2% (as fast as the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Physicists Do
Conduct research into physical phenomena, develop theories on the basis of observation and experiments, and devise methods to apply physical laws and theories.
Other Job Titles Physicists May Have
Health Physicist, Physicist, Research Scientist, Scientist
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Perform complex calculations as part of the analysis and evaluation of data, using computers.
- Analyze data from research conducted to detect and measure physical phenomena.
- Describe and express observations and conclusions in mathematical terms.
- Design computer simulations to model physical data so that it can be better understood.
- Write research proposals to receive funding.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.