Jordin's Open Road
Chief Scientist/Senior Inventor/Laser Motive
If you can learn to pull people together, you'll see your visions realized much quicker and easier than by trying to do it yourself.
- Says that even from nursery school, he knew he wanted to go into the hard sciences.
- As a child, he went to a science camp and learned how to build a laser.
- When he got his laser to turn on, he had an epiphany and was absolutely sure that he wanted to work with lasers for the rest of his life.
- Says once you hit that thing that makes you say, "I get this, I understand this, I want to do more of this," you know you've found the right path.
- Earned his doctorate in physics from the University of California, Berkeley, then worked at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
- After laser technology funding was cut, he designed satellites for ten years.
- Eventually realized he'd gotten away from his passion; returned to the field, spurred by a NASA competition.
- Encourages everyone to hang out with people who are "the best at what they do"-this keeps your motivated, builds connections that help you down the line.