I help auto parts manufacturers develop products by obtaining an emissions certificate. My day is usually spent testing a variety of products to ensure they meet the state and federal emissions standards and issuing affordable CARB EOs to manufacturers.
Automotive Engineering Technicians
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+2.1% (slower than the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Automotive Engineering Technicians Do
Assist engineers in determining the practicality of proposed product design changes and plan and carry out tests on experimental test devices or equipment for performance, durability, or efficiency.
Other Job Titles Automotive Engineering Technicians May Have
Laboratory Technician (Lab Technician), Research Technician
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Document test results, using cameras, spreadsheets, documents, or other tools.
- Set up mechanical, hydraulic, or electric test equipment in accordance with engineering specifications, standards, or test procedures.
- Read and interpret blueprints, schematics, work specifications, drawings, or charts.
- Inspect or test parts to determine nature or cause of defects or malfunctions.
- Monitor computer-controlled test equipment, according to written or verbal instructions.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.