I am responsible for reviewing engineering and planning applications and specifications, working with residents, businesses, and developers to ensure that all documents meet the established Township engineering standards. The Township Engineer also designs and administers all public works construction projects related to roadway, grading and drainage improvements within the Township.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+6.9% (as fast as the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Civil Engineers Do
Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, and water and sewage systems.
Other Job Titles Civil Engineers May Have
Civil Engineer, Design Engineer, Project Engineer, Structural Engineer
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
As the senior project engineer at the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I manage the design and construction of elements on the bridge, but I also manage the assets associated with the roadways, bridges, and ferry terminals that are connected to it.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Direct engineering activities, ensuring compliance with environmental, safety, or other governmental regulations.
- Manage and direct the construction, operations, or maintenance activities at project site.
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Plan and design transportation or hydraulic systems or structures, using computer-assisted design or drawing tools.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.