Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
What Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products Do
Purchase machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services necessary for the operation of an establishment. Purchase raw or semifinished materials for manufacturing. May negotiate contracts.
Other Job Titles Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products May Have
Buyer, Procurement Official, Procurement Specialist, Purchasing Administrator, Purchasing Agent
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations.
- Prepare purchase orders, solicit bid proposals, and review requisitions for goods and services.
- Negotiate, renegotiate, and administer contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives.
- Purchase the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price and in correct amounts.
- Analyze price proposals, financial reports, and other data and information to determine reasonable prices.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.