Sylvia's Open Road
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Don't be afraid of risk; decide what it is that makes you happy, and make that the basis of your decision-making.
- After finishing college, she wanted to continue her schooling, so she left to do a second degree in England.
- Finally, she realized that after seven years of secondary schooling, it was time for her to find a job.
- Took a job with management consulting firm McKinsey & Company and moved to New York.
- One day, she got a call from an old friend saying, "We want you on the Clinton campaign; you have 48 hours to come to Little Rock, Arkansas."
- She took a leave of absence to work on the campaign...then she was pulled into the transition...and she stayed aboard for all eight years.
- She decided to take a break from government work, climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, and then pivot into the private sector.
- Her plans were derailed when the Gates Foundation called and made her an amazing offer that she couldn't refuse.
- Says you should periodically stop and force yourself to examine where you are in life, and if you truly love what you're doing.