Roger's Open Road
Value Your Reputation (0:32)
Biggest Accomplishment (0:43)
Commitment And Effort (0:54)
Passionate About Cars (0:31)
Favorite Part of the Industry (0:42)
Take School Seriously (0:55)
The most important thing is effort—you’re not lucky, you make your own luck.
- He is one of America’s most famous entrepreneurs, best known for his ownership of Team Penske, DJR Team Penske, and the Penske Automotive Group.
- In 1951, his dad took him to the Indianapolis 500 race, which first sparked his interest in cars.
- At an early age, he started working at a gas station—eventually he began working on engines and taking cars apart.
- As a teenager he bought older cars, repaired them and sold them at a profit from his family's home in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Says he always wanted to “do more”; emphasizes working hard and putting in an effort to get where you want to go.
- Believes his biggest accomplishment has been building a company that has employed over 50,000 people and provided them with “a safe, honest, and high integrity workplace.”
- Says he is a natural risk-taker and that it is a common thread throughout the auto industry to continue innovating and pushing things forward.
- He has created one of the most successful teams in IndyCar Series and NASCAR racing—has the most victories as an owner in the Indianapolis 500 with 16 owner victories.