Randall's Open Road
Chairman and CEO
I have the fortune of doing these great things for AT&T, but if I don't get to spend time with my family, that's not success in my mind. If I am not successful in establishing relationships, I'm failing.
- Growing up, never imagined he'd become a CEO; in fact, started out in animal husbandry and agriculture.
- The son of an agricultural entrepreneur, he was encouraged to forgo college and enter the family business.
- Tried to follow his father's footsteps, but lacked aptitude and passion for it; decided to go to college instead.
- Believes college isn't right for everyone, but it was for him; exposed him to concepts he hadn't considered, like business, which he fell in love with.
- After college, went to business school and got a job at Southwestern Bell where he climbed the ranks.
- Today, knows his title screams "success," but he doesn't tie success to status; it's having a well-rounded life.
- Wouldn't be where he is without college; it gave him the ability to question what other people wanted for him and think for himself.