Miguel's Open Road
Dealing With Failure (0:36)
Don't Be Afraid Of Failure (1:07)
Looking For Mentors (1:07)
Following Your Interests (0:47)
Skills Needed In Computer Science (0:48)
Balancing Personal Life and Work Life (0:45)
Working In A Collaborative Environment (0:44)
Deloitte Consulting LLP*
I define a good day as a day where I’ve learned something different...Be curious and get into the details.
- Miguel is a first-generation immigrant and the first in his family to graduate from college.
- Growing up he always remembers having a passion for math and solving problems.
- Miguel went on to receive both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mathematics.
- While studying math, he became interested in computer science and believes that, “In the real world, you don’t do math with a pen and pencil. It’s not efficient; computers solve that problem for you.”
- One of the first projects he worked on combining his interests in math and computer science was building a computer program to help an organic farmer automate his crop production.
- While in graduate school at Clemson University, he taught Introduction to Mathematical Analysis (Business Calculus) courses to undergraduate students.
- Teaching math courses sparked his interest in pursuing analytics because he saw the potential in how these areas are shaping the way we communicate and apply technology to everyday life.
- As a senior data scientist at Deloitte Consulting LLP he developed advanced analytics by translating complex business problems into a mathematical framework.