Kristina's Open Road
Microsoft Cyber Defense Operations Center
Take the no’s and just keep pushing through that—because you’re worth it...because you want something better.
- Has a calling to protect people; helping to secure data and services in the Microsoft cloud helps her do that on a large scale.
- On some level, she’s always been a security and privacy advocate—whether it was defending friends from bullies or standing up for the vulnerable.
- In college at Washington State University, she wasn’t sure what she wanted to do, but knew she needed to make a living.
- She says to think three to five years ahead—she started out in law enforcement, then planned and made the switch to cybersecurity.
- When she started, everyone was self-taught and she was excited by the idea that you learned by doing the job.
- She started out in computer analysis response and recovering evidence, and that opened a new door for her.
- The biggest obstacles she faced came from within herself, wondering and worrying whether she knew enough.
- Says you should feel like you’re getting as much from your job as you’re giving—when that happens, you know you’ve hit the right balance.