Jill's Open Road
HBO's Six Feet Under
You have to be passionate about something where you wake up in the middle of the night to think about what characters should be doing.
- In college at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Jill wanted to go into advertising.
- Later, Jill realized television and movies were bigger interests and worked as a production assistant.
- Jill and their sister were obsessed with The Brady Bunch; for a time, that show was the only thing Jill was interested in.
- The two decided to gather up friends who were actors and reenact a ridiculous Brady Bunch episode.
- Jill and their sister didn't produce the play to make money, they both just thought it would be funny.
- The play gained a huge cult following and taught Jill to "forget about what sells and just do what makes you happy."
- A similar production that Jill wrote about Courteney Cox (again, written just because it seemed funny) landed Jill a job on Six Feet Under.
- Says you have to be honest about what makes you happy and go after it, "even if it's something stupid."