Darren's Open Road
Going To College Away From Home (1:15)
Treat People How You Want To Be Treated (0:49)
Your Passion Evolves (1:03)
Finding Internships (1:03)
There's More To College Than Just Academics (1:17)
Set Your Priorities (1:16)
Manufacturing Engineering Leader
Everybody you meet impacts your decisions. You learn from the bad just as much as the good.
- Was raised on a farm in rural Springville, IN.
- Growing up, he was heavily influenced by his grandfather and uncle, who were both very technologically and mechanically savvy.
- By sixth grade, he had decided he wanted to be an engineer.
- Attended Kettering University in Michigan, where he earned his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering with a specialty in automotive design.
- While there, he participated in the university’s co-op program with Ford Motor Company, which allowed him to gain work experience while getting his degree.
- Was hired on by Ford after graduating—admits he thought that, with his engineering degree, he would be designing cars, but ended up working in manufacturing and operations.
- After working there for a few years, he got tired of the harsh winters in Michigan and decided to move back home to Indiana.
- He now works for Cummins, Inc. managing the plant and manufacturing engineering teams.