Beverly's Open Road
Life is difficult. Bad happens. What are you going to do? You just have to make the best of everything. Trust that the universe is leading you along. It's all a process.
- Grew up working class; started ditching high school, got pregnant before she graduated.
- Enrolled in community college and struggled: didn't have a car, couldn't mind babysitters.
- Got an "F" on her English thesis; later became her autobiography, Riding in Cars with Boys.
- Was offered film rights for her book, held out on huge amounts of money until she found a deal that kept her involved.
- "Just say "yes": never wanted to write for magazines but found some amazing opportunities, loved it.
- Found financial success, critical acclaim, but still struggled with depression.
- Moved into a monastery for four years to "heal" after experiencing a major trauma.
- Says even the worst experiences in her life worked out in the end, led her to the person and writer she is today.