Gas Plant Operators
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
What Gas Plant Operators Do
Distribute or process gas for utility companies and others by controlling compressors to maintain specified pressures on main pipelines.
Other Job Titles Gas Plant Operators May Have
Gas Controller, Gas Dispatcher, Gas Plant Operator, Plant Operator
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Monitor transportation and storage of flammable and other potentially dangerous products to ensure that safety guidelines are followed.
- Monitor equipment functioning, observe temperature, level, and flow gauges, and perform regular unit checks to ensure that all equipment is operating as it should.
- Control operation of compressors, scrubbers, evaporators, and refrigeration equipment to liquefy, compress, or regasify natural gas.
- Start and shut down plant equipment.
- Record, review, and compile operations records, test results, and gauge readings such as temperatures, pressures, concentrations, and flows.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.