Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+6.2% (as fast as the average)
What Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses Do
Assess, diagnose, and treat individuals and families with mental health or substance use disorders or the potential for such disorders. Apply therapeutic activities, including the prescription of medication, per state regulations, and the administration of psychotherapy.
Other Job Titles Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses May Have
Advanced Practice Nurse Psychotherapist (APN Psychotherapist), Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse, Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse (PMH Nurse)
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Monitor patients' medication usage and results.
- Document patients' medical and psychological histories, physical assessment results, diagnoses, treatment plans, prescriptions, or outcomes.
- Diagnose psychiatric disorders and mental health conditions.
- Evaluate patients' behavior to formulate diagnoses or assess treatments.
- Distinguish between physiologically- and psychologically-based disorders, and diagnose appropriately.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.