Nuclear Monitoring Technicians
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
Most Common Level of Education
What Nuclear Monitoring Technicians Do
Collect and test samples to monitor results of nuclear experiments and contamination of humans, facilities, and environment.
Other Job Titles Nuclear Monitoring Technicians May Have
Health Physics Technician (HP Tech), Nuclear Chemistry Technician, Radiation Control Technician (Radcon Technician), Radiation Protection Specialist (RP Specialist), Radiation Protection Technician (RPT), Radiation Technician, Radiochemical Technician
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Brief workers on radiation levels in work areas.
- Calculate safe radiation exposure times for personnel using plant contamination readings and prescribed safe levels of radiation.
- Monitor personnel to determine the amounts and intensities of radiation exposure.
- Inform supervisors when individual exposures or area radiation levels approach maximum permissible limits.
- Provide initial response to abnormal events or to alarms from radiation monitoring equipment.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.