William Albert's Open Road
WILLIAM ALBERT ALLARD
It makes me realize that it's possible to set out with a goal, and it's possible to reach that goal...but you cannot be indifferent.
- After graduating from high school, he didn't have the grades to go to college, so he didn't.
- Instead, he got a job with the telephone company; one day, his sister told him, "There's more to life than climbing poles," so he enrolled in art school.
- One day, an enthusiastic professor led a photojournalism class on the marriage of words and pictures.
- He became obsessed with photojournalism and decided to tack it on as a double major.
- Because he was older than other students-he already had a wife and kids-his portfolio was a bit more serious than others.
- The director of photography at National Geographic gave him an internship and a chance at a story.
- He says that he was very well set up for this assignment, psychologically, and as a result, his photos of the Pennsylvania Amish were published.
- That spread was considered a major turning point in the style of the magazine, and it jump-started his photography career.