Samuel's Open Road
Samuel Kyles Highlight (2:29)
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Monumental Baptist Church
There are six billion people in the world…but there's only one you. What will you do with that specialness?
- He was born into a preacher's family-his dad was a minister-and he knew that he would eventually follow that path.
- Started preaching at age 19, but he was also heavily involved in the ongoing civil rights movement.
- In February of 1968, he helped galvanize support for striking workers due to low wages and inhumane working conditions.
- His civil rights work culminated in him inviting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to come to Memphis and march with him.
- Their march dissolved into violence, leading Dr. King to organize another rally, with Kyles' help.
- That rally, held at Mason Temple, was where Dr. King gave his infamous "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech; the next day, he was assassinated.
- Kyles still references elements of that speech and the "I Have a Dream" speech today; says their relevance lives on.
- Says the sooner you "get busy" identifying your calling, the longer you'll be able to start following it, and the greater impact you'll be able to make.