Robert's Open Road
Senior Program Officer
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Acceptance Experience Family Beliefs & Faith Success Chance Choices Passion Perseverance Struggle Community Education Support & Encouragement Transitions Dedication Instincts Doubt Self-Reflection Exploration Goals Inspiration
- Grew up in the projects in deep poverty.
- His siblings started doing drugs from a young age because they were widely available in his neighborhood.
- Made it through high school, went to Oberlin College, but still didn't know what he wanted to do with his life.
- Moved to Oakland to do Teach For America, saw many poor Hispanic families, similar to his own.
- Realized that his problems were universal, decided he wanted to work with low-income children.
- Calls his impoverished background his "secret weapon."
- Believes that ultimate success means being a free person, having a completely open mind.
- Feels he's successful because his job lets him collaborate with creative people, think outside of the box.