Olivia's Open Road
Sr. Exhibit Developer
Museum of Science and Industry
Think, 'this is what I want to be next,' rather than, 'this is what I want to be when I grow up.' It doesn't have to be so scary; you just have to decide what's next.
- After pursuing both music and science for most of her childhood, she decided to major in physics.
- Says that throughout her studies, she genuinely liked physics, but not enough to make it her life's work.
- Finished her undergrad studies and panicked, felt like she was never going to be able to be a musician.
- Looking back, says she was too focused on picking one specific career, didn't realize she could pursue all of her interests.
- After getting her Ph.D. in physics, she went into education outreach-says it was the first job she felt genuinely excited about.
- Designs the interactive audiovisual exhibits at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.
- Says the essence of her work is "translating" the excitement of science to the general public.
- Takes the stress out of career decisions by thinking about "what she wants to do next," rather than what she wants to do forever.