Marylee's Open Road
Louisiana Environmental Action Network
Most of us are in this temporary state and trying to do the best we can.
- Had a host of different jobs-owned an art gallery, worked at Head Start, worked in real estate.
- Finally decided that maybe her calling was just to be the best wife and mother that she could be.
- Then, her son was born with a lung disease; after seeing him struggle to breathe, she swore she'd never take breathing for granted again.
- Today, her son is healthy, so her new mission is to pay back her personal luck by giving back to her environment.
- She, along with a small group of community members, started the Louisiana Environmental Action Network (LEAN) to mend local environmental problems.
- She'd grown up hearing about the "big one," the hurricane that would flood New Orleans.
- In 2005, when Hurricane Katrina hit, she watched her "New Orleans family" dying on the news; LEAN sprung into action.
- Says they, "begged, borrowed and stole" any supplies they could, delivered 10-12 thousand pounds of food each day to those in need.