Mara's Open Road
Florence Therapy and Wellness
I’ve had lots of failures in life, but just because you’ve experienced some failures doesn’t mean you’re not successful. You’ve got to find success in the little things.
- As a high school senior, she signed with the College of St. Scholastica to play NCAA volleyball.
- A few months later, she got into a bad car accident and was hospitalized for some time, left fairly immobile during her recovery.
- After experiencing that rehabilitation process, she decided to get her degree in exercise physiology; later finished a master’s degree in physical therapy.
- Another one of her passions is endurance riding—riding long distances on horseback.
- She decided that she could combine her two interests and use horses in her physical therapy sessions.
- She put together pro-bono sessions to gauge interest in her new practice and before long, she had 40-50 clients.
- Her specialty is in hippotherapy, which uses horseback riding to promote focus and fine motor skills.
- Says that working with horses helps her patients with ADHD and learning disabilities find their focus.