John's Open Road
KEXP, Seattle, WA
Even if you think you may not be able to achieve something, try it, ask someone about it…as long as you're talking to people, that's totally going to help you.
- Grew up in Spokane, Washington; it was a popular stop for touring bands, so he grew up obsessed with music.
- He and his friends would share tapes and talk about new bands they discovered-says music became his life.
- Moved to Seattle to attend the University of Washington.
- Originally entered the communications major because he wasn't sure what he wanted to do, but started to realize he wanted to go into radio.
- One day, he walked over to the campus radio station and said, "What can I do for you guys? I'll work for free."
- Says that because he was willing to put in the hours, do anything for the station, they developed a beneficial relationship.
- Believes that everyone should find something for which they're willing to sacrifice their pay, sacrifice their free time-that's your passion.
- Wishes he'd sought out more advice when he was young and recommends that everyone open a dialogue with mentors in their field.