Jill's Open Road
Founding Director and Yoga Teacher
There was no authenticity, there was nothing I was connected to...until yoga helped me heal.
- Her parents divorced when she was young, and her mother remarried a man who was extremely abusive.
- Her mother had some yet-undiagnosed mental issues, and wasn't always equipped to take care of her daughter.
- She started smoking marijuana in the sixth grade; by seventh grade, she was regularly going to parties and drinking until she blacked out.
- Says her life was spiraling downwards-she called herself a "dead girl walking"-until she finally found yoga.
- She had "deadened" her feelings with alcohol and drugs, but yoga helped her heal, and helped her clear her mind.
- Her husband worked at a juvenile detention center in L.A. and saw a lot of trauma; one day, she asked if she could start teaching a yoga class there.
- Coincidentally, her mother later pointed out that she'd picked up Jill from that same detention center as a child; she knew she'd found a calling.
- Working with those children sparked a fire in Jill; she decided to start UpRising Yoga so that she could take on new yoga teachers and help more kids.