Garrett's Open Road
Up Mountain Switchel
Don't hesitate. You should never be scared to make a move.
- Originally thought he was going to be a contractor, then an architect.
- He met his co-founder, Ely Key, after moving to California to study architecture.
- Ely had been making a traditional beverage called switchel in his barn, and he gave some to Garrett to try.
- At the time, he says he saw all of his interests-agriculture, architecture, design-were beginning to culminate.
- He was in the right place to say, "This stuff is great; let's make this happen."
- They made their first batch and took it to the farmer's market, where they made a $200 dollar profit.
- Now when they go to the farmer's markets, people know who they are, which Riffle says is pretty cool.
- Says that your core values may change over your professional career, but when the time comes, you'll know when to take action.