Emilie's Open Road
Experience A Day In Someone's Life (0:49)
Let Your Friends Help You (0:51)
You Don't Have To Know Everything (0:45)
Going Back To School (0:16)
Confidence In Yourself (1:27)
Giving Back (1:02)
You're The One Who Has To Live With Your Decisions (1:20)
EMP Psychological Services, LLC
You're not always gonna know if what you're doing is right. You just have to take it one day at a time, one step at a time, and be true to yourself.
- Got her undergraduate degree in fashion and apparel design—interned in New York City with Liz Claiborne and later became an assistant buyer for the Ralph Lauren and Ann Taylor retail stores.
- Tired of the harsh New York winters, she moved back to the South where she worked in marketing for an insurance firm, and then later in magazine design.
- After her marriage, she moved to rural Meriwether County, Georgia, where she struggled to figure out her next career move due to how isolated the area is.
- Has always had a passion for helping people with physical and mental disabilities, and decided that she wanted to pursue a career as a special education teacher.
- Participated in the Georgia Teacher Academy for Preparation and Pedagogy, which helps people with degrees in subjects other than education get a jobs as teachers and receive on-the-job training.
- After having her first child, she became a stay-at-home mom, but quickly realized that wasn’t the right move for her, so she began working on her first master’s degree in educational leadership.
- She was encouraged by one of her coworkers in Meriwether County to pursue an additional master’s degree in school psychology, and has been working in that field ever since.
- Says her favorite part of her job is working with students—who are struggling with various learning issues—figure out how to make school work for them so they can excel.