Derek's Open Road
There's always somebody that's better than you, or more talented, but you can't really live for them and you can't let that dictate what you do.
- Started off as a graphic designer designing lottery tickets, then did illustrations at a t-shirt embroidery store.
- His passion was photography; he'd work a 9-to-5 shift then go straight over to the studio to take pictures.
- He knew that working for someone else wasn't good for him, so he decided to run with his photography, be his own boss.
- Says that with his growing popularity comes more criticism, but as long as he still gets fulfillment, he'll continue making his art.
- Used to leave his office right at 5 p.m., now that he's pursuing his passion of photography, is more willing to put in work, stay until he gets the shot.
- Says that there's always going to be someone out there whose art is better than yours, but "you can't let that dictate what you put out there."
- Now a very well-known photographer in the world of magazines and print; mostly shoots celebrities.
- Even though he's found success, he still says he's "nowhere near where [he] hopes to be" in five or 10 years.